QSFP-DD for High-Performance Computing
QSFP-DD (quad small form-factor pluggable double density) doubles the capacity of QSFP interconnects with an eight-lane electrical interface capable of 28 Gbps NRZ, 56 Gbps PAM4, and 112 Gbps PAM4 to achieve up to 800 Gbps per port. QSFP-DD connector portfolio’s backwards compatibility allows existing QSFP modules to be plugged into QSFP-DD ports. Additionally, QSFP-DD cages feature a proprietary heat sink design, making them the only solution to work in 15-18W applications at a low cost – providing superior thermal and signal integrity performance.
Stacked QSFP-DD 112G Connectors and Cages
TE Connectivity (TE) stacked quad small form factor pluggable double density (QSFP-DD) 112G connectors and cages are the next generation of data infrastructure interconnect solutions to support high density data centers, cloud computing, and artificial intelligence operations. Stacked QSFP-DD 112G solutions enable operations at 112G PAM4 speeds, and are built to mechanical and performance standards developed by companies under a QSFP-DD multi-source agreement (MSA). TE offers a complete vertically integrated manufacturing solution, with expertise in both connector and thermal development.
- TE’s next generation QSFP-DD products are aligned with the industry’s 112G channel performance needs on signal integrity performance.
- QSFP-DD cages are fully backwards compatible, providing an upgrade path from existing QSFP solutions - allowing an economical path to upgrade to 112G operations.
- Due to demands on next generation designs to support hyperscale data centers and machine learning infrastructures, TE has developed one of the most comprehensive and flexible 112G portfolios on the market.
QSFP-DD 112G 1x SMT Receptacle Connector
TE Connectivity's new Our QSFP-DD 112G SMT receptacle connectors can address next-generation data center needs by increasing density in an existing QSFP form factor to reach speeds up to 800 Gbps. These products are designed for 800 Gbps PAM-4 protocols. TE’s QSFP-DD products work cost effectively in 15-18W applications leveraging proprietary heat sink technology. Our new connectors are fully backward-compatible, providing an easy upgrade path from existing QSFP solutions. TE offers a broad QSFP-DD portfolio which includes 1x1 to 1x6 cages and SMT connectors. Custom lightpipes, heatsinks are also available.
- Faceplate density equal to current 1xN QSFP28
- 1x1, 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 1x5 and 1x6 cages available
- Cages are belly-to-belly compatible
- Connector is traditional SMT with 4 rows
- 56G QSFP-DD cages are drop-in compatible to QSFP-DD 112G connectors
- Multiple heatsink and lightpipe options available
- Customizable with standard PCIe, SAN and NET heatsink heights, or to customer defi ned requirements
- 1, 2 and 4 lightpipe configurations
2x1 QSFP-DD Cages and Connectors
TE’s QSFP-DD 2x1 cages and connectors add to the wide range of existing QSFP-DD surface mount products, providing customers with additional design options for 400G applications, through a robust, consistent and cost effective solution. These products address both 28G NRZ and 56G PAM-4 protocols, with a roadmap to 112G PAM-4 for future system upgrades. QSFP-DD 2x1 cages and connectors’ stacked configuration allows for more height from the host board to allow for a more unified airflow and larger ASIC heat sink. These solutions can be a cost effective, cooling high power applications (15-18W) by leveraging proprietary heat sink technology.
QSFP-DD Cable Assemblies
- QSFP-DD cable assemblies are similar to QSFP28 4 channel (8 pair), but use double the channels to 8 (16 pair) by using a 2nd row of contact/pad locations on the front of the PCB
- Maximum cable reaches to meet IEEE 802.3cd SDD21 requirement of -17.28dB at 13.28 GHz
- 16 pair 28AWG cable maximum fit (2.5m), plans for as small as 32AWG
- QSFP-DD to QSFP-DD
- QSFP-DD to 2x and 4x QSFP28/56
- QSFP-DD to 8x SFP28/56
QSFP-DD Connectors & Cable Assemblies
- Data centers
- High performance computing
WATCH QSFP-DD IN ACTION IN OUR LIVE DEMOS FROM DESIGNCON 2019
Click video to watch the QSFP-DD thermal demo consists of a 1RU enclosure with 32 ports of the QSFP-DD 400Gbps input/output (I/O) populated with thermal emulator modules. The demo allows programmable control of airflow and per module power dissipation levels up to 15 Watts, demonstrating realistic operation of a 12.8Tbps 1RU enclosure.