Electrical Power connectors are used to join electrical conductors and thus repair or extend a power network. They also can be used for grounding to protect the grid, the assets and ultimately people. TE’s electrical connectors are available for low, medium and high voltage electrical conductors, bared or insulated. They come in a variety of different materials and are suitable for a wide range of applications such as underground, overhead, substation and grounding. Our range of electrical connectors have been engineered to the highest standards of quality and design, exhibiting properties such as corrosion resistance, insulation, material strength, durability, flexibility, and more.
Transmission Substation Connections
Substations are a key point of electrical networks and need to be highly reliable to support growing electrical demands. For high voltage substations from 60 kV to 550 kV we offer:
- High voltage clamps and connectors: Our range of SIMABUS and SIMAFLEX clamps and connectors are for AC and DC applications up to 500 kV. They are made to connect aluminum tubes and overhead bare conductors.
- Earthing stirrups, end caps and spacers
When installing the connector of a MV joint, make sure the conductor is entirely inserted in the connector: there is no space between cable insulation and connector. Otherwise, remove conductor from connector and cut to correct size.
Underground power grids require reliable and durable products that are easy to install, to ensure efficiency and high performance. Our range of underground connectors are compatible with heat shrink, cold applied, resin and gel sealing technology. The range includes:
- Mechanical shear bolt connectors and terminal lugs: Made of aluminum alloy or/and copper, our range-taking connectors and terminal lugs incorporate shear bolt technology. This ensures that optimal contact force is generated to minimize connection resistance.
- Compression connectors and terminal lugs: Our Utilux and SIMEL ranges are available in aluminum, copper and bi metallic versions. These products should be crimped with tooling that we also offer in our portfolio.
- Insulating Piercing Connectors (IPC): We offer ‘main to main’ and ‘main to service’ one-phase or Ring type IPC’s. These connectors can be used on low voltage live lines. Using the insulation piercing technology, they don’t require stripping of the cable insulation. Our connectors are suitable for all types of conductors, sector or round shape, solid or stranded aluminum and copper conductors.
Overhead connections must withstand harsh environments without compromising performance of the network. Our range for overhead networks includes:
- Power system clamps: Our suspension and anchoring clamps are range-taking and offer resistance to corrosion and temperature variations.
- AMPACT wedge connectors: This range is for cables up to 3000 MCM on distribution, substation and transmission applications up to 500 kV. AMPACT tap connectors use the action of a metal wedge to secure the two conductors to be connected at opposing ends of the C-clamp. Their elastic force prevents creepage, compensating for expansion and contraction of the assembly during thermal cycling.
- AMPACT in-line switches (ILD): These combine the reliability of copper blade components and a double string of polymeric insulators with the AMPACT dead-end yoke assembly. The result is an in-line switch for distribution lines from 15 kV up to 69 kV.
- Insulating Piercing Connectors (IPC): Our IPC’s provide electrical connections for aluminum and copper stranded conductors. Their metallic blades imbedded in molded plastic and surrounded with a sealing compound insure electrical contact in low voltage overhead distribution networks. A single torque control nut draws the two parts of the connector together and shears off when the teeth have pierced the insulation and contacted the conductor strands.
- Removable circuit breakers: These ensure a breakpoint on low voltage insulated lines up to 60A max.
Proper grounding and bonding are critical to the effective operation of all electrified systems: power, telecommunications, and data communications. We offer:
- Grounding connectors: This category of connectors is used for earthing applications for equipment grounds, system grounds, ground electrode systems, as well as lightning protection grounding applications. We recently added AMP Weld exothermically welded connections to our existing product line which includes WRENCH-LOK, SHEAR-LOK, and AMPACT copper tap connectors. Our AMP Weld exothermic welding process fuses conductors together to produce permanent grounding connections.
- Link boxes: Our link boxes offer a sealed and dry environment for high voltage cable sheath earthing connections. They reduce voltages and circulating currents.
To help you install our electrical connectors, we have a range of hand tools suitable for mechanical, compression and wedge connectors.