Hawaiki Transpacific Cable System Ready for Installation
Manufacturing of Cable and Equipment Complete System Deployment to Start in Early October
AUCKLAND, New Zealand and EATONTOWN, N.J., USA - September 25, 2017 - Hawaiki Submarine Cable LP and TE SubCom, a TE Connectivity Ltd. company and an industry pioneer in undersea communications technology, today announced that the 14,000 km of undersea fiber-optic cable that comprise the Hawaiki transpacific cable system are in the final stages of being loaded aboard TE SubCom’s cable laying vessels CS Global Sentinel and CS Responder. Installation of the system will commence in early October 2017.
Hawaiki Cable Updates
· Manufacturing has concluded at SubCom’s Newington, New Hampshire, U.S. facility, including more than 14,000 km of cable for Hawaiki and more than 170 completed repeaters.
· Cable has been fully loaded onto the CS Global Sentinel, and the CS Responder load is near completion.
· Horizontal directional drilling (HDD) for the cable landing in Pacific City, Oregon and Sydney, Australia has been completed.
· All installation permits for Australia, New Zealand and Oregon are already in hand, and continue to progress as expected in Hawaii.
· In Sydney, the construction of the land duct route is complete, the installation of the terminal equipment has started and the pulling of the land cable is scheduled to begin shortly.
· In New Zealand, the construction of the land duct route is complete and the construction of a new cable station is underway.
· The system is on schedule for completion by mid-2018.
About Hawaiki Cable
· Hawaiki will link Australia and New Zealand to the mainland United States, as well as Hawaii and American Samoa, with options to expand to additional South Pacific islands.
· Hawaiki will be the highest cross-sectional capacity link between the U.S. and Australia and New Zealand.
· The carrier-neutral cable system was co-developed by New Zealand-based entrepreneurs Sir Eion Edgar, Malcolm Dick and Remi Galasso.
“The coming months will see the realization of our vision for Hawaiki, a system that will impact the capabilities and economies of hundreds of Pacific communities,” said Remi Galasso, CEO of Hawaiki. “Considering the scope of the project, the progress to date has been staggering. It is a thrill to reach the installation phase and know that we will soon be ready to light the system and deliver much needed capacity to the region.”
“With the cable load process concluding on schedule, we will soon launch the installation phase of the project using two of the industry’s most technologically-advanced cable laying vessels,” said Debra Brask, vice president, project and program management, TE SubCom. “Hawaiki is certainly a large and multi-faceted system, but we are confident in our transpacific expertise and look forward to an efficient deployment.”
About Hawaiki Submarine Cable LP
Hawaiki Submarine Cable LP, headquartered in Auckland, New Zealand, is the owner and developer of the Hawaiki submarine cable system (Hawaiki). Hawaiki is a carrier-neutral submarine cable linking Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii and Oregon, on the U.S. west coast. For more information, visit www.hawaikicable.co.nz.
About TE SubCom
TE SubCom (SubCom), a TE Connectivity Ltd. company, is an industry pioneer in undersea communications technology and marine services, and a leading global supplier for today’s undersea communications requirements. As a vertically integrated supplier, SubCom designs, manufactures, deploys, and maintains the industry’s most reliable fiber optic cable systems. Its solutions include long-haul and regional systems, repeaterless networks, capacity upgrades, offshore oil and gas, and scientific research applications. SubCom brings end-to-end network knowledge and global experience to support on-time delivery and the needs of customers worldwide. To date, the company has deployed more than 100 cable systems and enough subsea communication cable to circle the globe 15 times at the equator. For more information, visit www.SubCom.com.
TE Connectivity Ltd. (NYSE: TEL) is a $14 billion global technology and manufacturing leader creating a safer, sustainable, productive, and connected future. For more than 75 years, our connectivity and sensor solutions, proven in the harshest environments, have enabled advancements in transportation, industrial applications, medical technology, energy, data communications, and the home. With 80,000 employees, including more than 8,000 engineers, working alongside customers in approximately 140 countries, TE ensures that EVERY CONNECTION COUNTS.