Superior Thermal Performance and Durability
Our unique thermal bridge technology provides up to 2x better thermal resistance over traditional thermal technologies such as gap pads or thermal pads. This solution was developed as customers seek ways to dissipate more heat associated with increasing system power requirements, specifically in fixed cooling applications with restricted airflow, liquid cooling or cold plates.
- Up to 2x better thermal resistance over most traditional thermal technologies
- Near-zero plate gap in the thermal bridge construction for optimized compression and thermal transfer
- Optimized for applications using cold plates with liquid cooling or heat pipes, ganged heatsinks or direct chassis conduction applications with little to no airflow
- Consistent, long-lasting thermal performance with an elastic compression design that is resistant to set and relaxation over time
- Low and consistent compression force between cold plate and I/O plug
- Lasts longer than traditional thermal technologies to reduce component replacements needed during servicing
Thermal bridge technology is the latest thermal innovation from TE Connectivity (TE) and provides up to 2x better thermal resistance over traditional thermal technologies such as gap pads or thermal pads. This solution was developed as our customers seek ways to dissipate more heat associated with increasing power requirements, specifically in applications with restricted airflow, liquid cooling or cold plate applications.
- High Performance Computing (HPC)
- Ethernet Switches
- Ethernet SP Routing
See thermal bridge in action
Click the video to watch our Quad Small Form Factor Pluggable Double Density (QSFP-DD) compressible thermal bridge demo presenting a new technology for efficiently transferring heat across a gap of variable size, while controlling the force applied to surrounding components. The demo displays bridge and interface thermal resistances in real time, while allowing adjustment of the bridge height as heat is transferred between a pluggable module and heat sink.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What are the best applications for using thermal bridge technology?
A: This solution was developed to dissipate heat in applications that use cold plates with liquid cooling or heat pipes, ganged heatsinks or direct chassis conduction applications with little to no airflow. It is a mechanical alternative to the traditional gap pad or thermal interface material (TIM).
Q: How does the thermal bridge technology work?
A: Our new, innovative thermal bridge technology replaces the traditional gap pad or thermal interface material (TIM) with integrated mechanical springs to provide interface force and 1.0mm of compression travel. This interleaved series of parallel plates allows heat to pass from the I/O module to the cooling area.
QSFP-DD Connectors, Cages and Cable Assemblies
QSFP-DD doubles the density of QSFP and eight differential pairs capable of 50 Gbps each to achieve 400GbE while allowing existing QSFP modules to be plugged into the same cage. The QSFP-DD specification provides both single-height and stacked configurations of the cage/connector system, supporting QSFP modules and QSFP-DD modules through an additional recessed row of contacts.