Scalable Backplane Solutions to 112 Gbps PAM-4
The STRADA Whisper backplane family was designed with your need for high-performing, high-bandwidth systems in mind. Its revolutionary design transfers data up to 112 Gbps—allowing you to achieve efficient future system upgrades without costly backplane or midplane redesigns.
STRADA Whisper connectors are differentiated by folded signal pins surrounded by strong, protective C-shaped shields, which make the product family one of the most robust offerings in the market. Additionally, the connector footprint keeps crosstalk down and the overall connector design uses latest eye-of-needle (EON) technology. The STRADA Whisper product family operates with extremely low noise, low insertion loss and little to no skew—all of which provide design flexibility and high design margin.
New Product: STRADA Whisper Absolute
Enabling Next-Gen Architectures
STRADA Whisper Absolute high-speed backplane connectors are engineered for 112G PAM4, enabling next generation data center, with outstanding cross-talk control and remarkably reduced insertion loss. The connectors allow seamless transition from 56G and 112G as mating interface is Backward Compatible to 56G STRADA Whisper and STRADA Whisper R connectors. The signal pairs can be Quad-routable, achieving cost-effective 112G architecture design. STRADA Whisper Absolute solutions include broad portfolio of Direct Plug Orthogonal (DPO) and traditional backplane.
Click to watch the 112G STRADA Whisper Absolute orthogonal link demonstrate live 112 Gbps PAM4 electrical signaling running over a +30dB channel with crosstalk aggressors. This channel utilized an integrated 112G PAM-4 SerDes chip driving and receiving traffic through the STRADA Whisper Absolute connector which is a next-gen backplane style connector with backplane, orthogonal and cabled options. This demonstration highlighted the connector’s ability to run 112Gbps traffic through a realistic orthogonal channel with integrated active devices.
STRADA Whisper High Speed Backplane Connectors
- Proven 56 Gbps connector with scalability to 112 Gbps PAM-4
- Simple upgrade path
- Industry leading crosstalk performance
- Robust signal pins and ground shields
- Best-in-class EMI performance
- Flexible design options to support most architectures
- 1.5mm un-mate electrical performance
- Skew-less design without cancellation tricks
- Power Sum FEXT is lower than -50 dB for system implementation at 12.5 GHz
- Insertion loss is less than 1dB and linear up to 20 GHz
- Individual shielded pairs offer excellent signal integrity / EMI performance
- Little to no skew through high-speed differential pairs
- Common mode impedance controlled throughout the connector, including footprint and mating interface
- Superior 56 Gbps PAM-4 electrical performance maintained even in a 1.5mm unmated condition
- No reliance on noise cancellation, unlike some competitive products, which can be critical in high-speed applications
- 85 Ohm, 92 Ohm and 100 Ohm versions available
Simplified Board Design
Signal contacts are arranged horizontally in highspeed differential pairs for zero skew. This makes your board design simpler, while increasing signal integrity performance and saving board space. Each differential pair is surrounded by six ground connection points.
The connector allows for 1.5mm worth of mating separation (between both the ground and signal) through TE’s patented C-shaped, 360-grounding design, which includes an extra “orphan” shield at the bottom of the horizontal stack of contacts for complete shielding. The 360-ground shield provides high signal integrity margin, (electrical margin) granting you more chip and PCB flexibility. C-shaped shields protrude outwards to protect signal pins from damage.
Tabs on the sides of C-shield assure that ground contacts have at least a 2.5mm wipe, which helps maintain electrical performance with 1.5mm of un-mate condition.