Connect Anything, Anywhere
TE is a leading provider of standard embedded antenna solutions that can connect your product in this increasing wireless world. Numerous industries have integrated wireless functionality into their everyday products and services. TE provides advanced antenna solutions for most wireless devices, with many combinations of features that are required. Our antenna designs accommodate many sets of frequency bands for operation on any network – in both regional and global markets – at a competitive price point.
Standard Antenna Portfolio
TE has developed a line of low profile, high performance stamped metal embedded antenna solutions for single- and dual-band applications. Stamped metal antennas offer OEMs a low cost and highly repeatable manufacturing solution with a number of standard or customized antenna designs. Stampings are a proven solution with several advantages: lowest cost, integrated contacts to ground plane, high volume capable production die, and additional assembly stations may be added for volume upswings.
Flexible printed circuits (FPCs) and printed circuit boards (PCBs) are ideal for multi-band antennas, allowing virtually any wireless product to operate at different frequencies without multiple antennas. TE offers a broad range of low profile, high performance FPC and PCB embedded antennas. Similar to our stamped metal antennas, FPC and PCB antennas offer OEMs a low cost and highly repeatable manufacturing solution in a number of standard or customized antenna designs. FPC and PCB antennas address the needs of a variety of wireless applications and offer several advantages: low-cost tooling investment, flexibility for pattern changes during production, and shortest lead time for tool build.
TE has manufacturing and design locations around the world, providing a full range of value-added production processes onsite. We also have state-of-the-art measurement capabilities ensuring all of our antennas satisfy today’s most discriminating performance and quality requirements.
TE most commonly uses the following manufacturing technologies: two-shot and laser direct structuring for molded interconnect devices (MIDs), stamped metal, printed circuit board (PCB), and flexible printed circuit (FPC).
Title: Antenna Assembly – TE Kunshan
An example of the antenna assembly process, this video shows the value TE’s Kunshan manufacturing team adds while turning an antenna into an antenna assembly.
Heading: Antenna Assembly Process in Kunshan, China. Assembly Steps
- The assembly process starts with the cable preparation. Shrink-wrapped tubing is being installed onto the cables, in preparation for the cable routing station.
- The three cables are placed into a cable routing jig. The cables are rolled flat, and then heat is applied to the shrink-wrap tube. Once cooled, the tubing will hold the cables in the desired shape.
- Using a tolerance-using jig, the cables are checked to make that sure they meet the routing dimensional specifications.
- In the next step, the ground clip is crimped into place…
- …followed by the soldering of the ground clip.
- Using a clamping gig, all three ground clips are positioned accurately onto the antenna. And once secured, they are soldered onto the two-shot antenna.
- Next, the center conductor is soldered to the two-shot antenna at the designated feed point.
- At this station, the cables are being pre-formed. This facilitates easier routing when the antenna assemblies are later installed into the unit.
- In the next step, an EMI tape is being applied to the cables.
- Once assembled, the free-space BSWR testing is performed. All three antenna elements are tested simultaneously.
- Following the RF test, all antenna assemblies undergo an overall visual inspection, ensuring only quality product is shipped to the customer.
- After inspection, protective covers are installed to ensure no damage to cable protectors during transportation.
- The final step of the assembly process is to prepare the antennas for shipping.
To meet the demand for slimmer consumer devices, we can custom design the connectors you need. We are ready to help you to reduce connector height up to 30 percent, enabling the super thin consumer devices of today and tomorrow.
Title: Go Slim
Summary: The future of consumer devices
Future Consumer Devices:
- Cloud Computing
- High Speed
What’s Next? Connectivity
- GO SLIM Connectivity
- Reduce Connector Height…up to 30%
- More Flexible
Enable Super Thin Consumer Devices of Tomorrow