High Voltage Sealing and Protection with VOLINSU Heat Shrink Tubing
The TE Connectivity’s (TE) VOLINSU Tubing line provides electrical insulation, mechanical protection, environmental sealing, and strain relief. Available in single wall tubing and dual wall tubing, our EV heat shrinkable tubing is engineered for use in numerous automotive, industrial and commercial transportation including cable termination insulation, wire grouping and jacketing, battery pack sealing and protection. It is a solid alternative to taping, molding, or potting. When heated, heat sleeves conforms to the size and shape of the substrate beneath, enabling quick and easy installation. Its high expansion ratio makes it possible to repair most damaged cable jackets without removing connectors. The new EVSW tubing from TE meets the unique challenges of EV applications, delivering a heat shrink tube specifically designed for use to insulate and protect conductive components and cables to ensure operational steadfastness and reliability.
Electric vehicles are becoming highly connected as part of the Internet of Things and the Internet of Vehicles, transforming the vehicle into a seamless interface between our connected lives at home and work. The integration of screens and displays into almost any imaginable interior surface demonstrates the vehicle’s growing role as a hub for entertainment, communications, and productivity. The automotive industry has worked with major technology companies in order to deliver the most advanced, safest, and most comfortable vehicles out there. Cars are becoming large smart devices with advanced emergency braking capabilities, mapping technology for autonomous driving, better fuel efficiency, and cars as a service as a form of transportation. One of the key drivers of the electric vehicle heat shrink tubing industry is the demand for electric vehicles and sales worldwide. Electric vehicles (EVs) require the use of high-voltage cables and wiring for power transmission. These cables need to be protected from heat, moisture, and mechanical stress.
Why Choose TE’s Heat Shrink Tubing Products: Designed for Harsh and Rugged Environments
- Versatility and Durability: Heat shrink tubing is designed to improve the ability to keep out moisture, harsh chemicals and mechanical interference. It also provides strain relief, electrical insulation, mechanical protection and environmental sealing for applications such as back-end connector sealing, breakouts, connector-to-cable transitions, and is especially useful in cable harnesses.
- Quick Installation/High-Tech Performance: Heat shrink tubing has a faster application time than other products resulting in better performance. For example, when compared to tape, heat shrink tubing has been shown to shorten application time (from 180 seconds to 45 seconds), improve yield (from less than 90% to over 98%) and provide a higher operational temperature rating (125°C compared to 105°C.)
- Easy Installation: When heated, heat shrink tubing conforms to the size and shape of the substrate beneath, enabling quick and easy installation. Its high expansion ratio of up to 8:1 can also enable users and technicians to repair most damaged cable jackets without removing other components such as connectors.
- Safety: Heat shrink tubing products are designed to maximize safety. This can include variables such as thick-tubing to secure extra protection, various colors for easy identification and various levels of flame-retardancy to meet UL VW-1 flammability standards.
- Reliable, Robust Cross-linking Technology: Cross-linking technology modifies the molecular structure of a polymer, allowing the tubing to withstand high temperatures without melting — a critical factor in harsh ICT environments. Heat shrink tubing can provide a complete seal and its high mechanical strength makes it more resistant to impacts and abrasions.
- Offered in Single Wall and Dual Wall Heat Shrink Tubing: Single wall shrink tubing provides superior insulation strain relief and protection against mechanical damage and abrasion versus taping and molding in place. Dual wall tubing should be considered the top choice over taping, molding and potting for any circumstance where corrosion protection and sealing are required.