The STRADA Whisper backplane family was designed with your end customer’s need for high-performing, high-bandwidth systems in mind. Its revolutionary design transfers data at blinding speeds of 25 Gbps and offers unparalleled scalability up to 56 Gbps—allowing you to achieve efficient future system upgrades without costly backplane or midplane redesigns.
Performance matters. The STRADA Whisper product family operates with extremely low noise, low insertion loss and little to no skew—all of which provide system architects with design flexibility and high design margin. Specific versions are available for 100-Ohm and 85-Ohm applications so you do not have to compromise on impedance discontinuities.
Mechanically, the STRADA Whisper connector family mirrors most high-speed backplane connectors in the market for easy implementation. It differentiates itself through folded signal pins surrounded by strong, protective C-shaped shields, which make the product family one of the most robust offerings in the market. Additionally, the connector footprint keeps crosstalk down and the overall connector design uses latest eye-of-needle (EON) technology.
Features and Benefits
- Proven 56 Gbps connector
- Simple upgrade path
- Industry leading crosstalk performance
- Robust signal pins and ground shields
- Best-in-class EMI performance
- Flexible design options to support most architectures
- 1.5mm un-mate electrical performance
- Skew-less design without cancellation tricks
TE Product Manager Doug Lawrence explains how designing STRADA Whisper connectors into your communication system can put you ahead of the game. The innovative design transfers data at blinding speeds of 25 to 56 Gbps and operates with extremely low noise, low insertion loss and little to no skew.
Your Design Partner For High Speed Architectures
To ensure smooth transitions from 10 Gbps and 25 Gbps systems to 56 Gbps and beyond using the STRADA Whisper connector, TE can assign a team of experts—comprised of our best signal integrity and mechanical engineers—to help you develop a solution that fits right into your architecture. Whether it is traditional backplane, orthogonal midplane, direct plug orthogonal, or a cabled-backplane system, we can tailor the STRADA Whisper product portfolio to best fit and enable your system architecture.
- Servers and Storage
- Optical Transport
- Wireless infrastructure
- Power Sum FEXT is lower than -50 dB for system implementation at 12.5 GHz
- Insertion loss is less than 1dB and linear up to 20 GHz
- Individual shielded pairs offer excellent signal integrity / EMI performance
- Little to no skew through high-speed differential pairs
- Common mode impedance controlled throughout the connector, including footprint and mating interface
- Superior 25 Gbps electrical performance maintained even in a 1.5mm unmated condition
- No reliance on noise cancellation, unlike some competitive products, which can be critical in high-speed applications
- 85-Ohm and 100-Ohm versions available
Signal contacts are arranged horizontally in highspeed differential pairs for zero skew. This makes your board design simpler, while increasing signal integrity performance and saving board space. Each differential pair is surrounded by six ground connection points.
The connector allows for 1.5mm worth of mating separation (between both the ground and signal) through TE’s patented C-shaped, 360-grounding design, which includes an extra “orphan” shield at the bottom of the horizontal stack of contacts for complete shielding. The 360-ground shield provides high signal integrity margin, (electrical margin) granting you more chip and PCB flexibility. C-shaped shields protrude outwards to protect signal pins from damage.
Tabs on the sides of C-shield assure that ground contacts have at least a 2.5mm wipe, which helps maintain electrical performance with 1.5mm of un-mate condition.