Enhanced USB Type-C Connector
Key Features Improve Ruggedness, EMI Performance in Next-Generation I/O Standard
November 03, 2015
HARRISBURG, Pa – TE Connectivity (TE), a world leader in connectivity, today introduced its USB Type-C connector, a do-it-all interface that eliminates the need for multiple cords in a broad range of products from slim handheld devices to robust industrial applications. TE’s new USB Type-C connector features enhanced electromagnetic interference (EMI) shielding on the receptacle shell to help eliminate unwanted EMI leakage and provide enhanced performance over similar legacy products. It also offers additional connector board retention features compared to the industry standard footprint to provide enhanced reliability and ruggedness.
“The USB Type-C connector is a significant advancement over previous generations of USB connectors,” said Barbara Grzegorzewska, director of product management, input/output (I/O), TE Data and Devices. “The new USB Type-C industry standard connector provides faster data rates, higher power, and A/V connectivity in one interface, opening up far more design flexibility for engineers designing the next generation of electronics products.”
Key Features and Specifications
of TE's USB Type-C Connector
- Industry-leading EMI performance – TE’s exclusive EMI design helps eliminate unwanted EMI leakage and provide enhanced performance over similar legacy products.
- Ruggedized design – TE’s design offers additional connector board retention features, compared to the industry standard footprint, to provide enhanced durability.
- Higher speed – 10 Gbps
- Higher power – Supports power up to 100W bi-directional
- Supports alternate mode for other functions like audio/visual (A/V) over single cable
- Size: 24 pin, 3mm high x 8mm wide
- Flexible, reversible, and backward compatible – one USB connector does it all.
- Factory automation
- Industrial machinery
- Data centers
- Medical devices
- A/V digital switches
- Power packs and chargers
- Automotive infotainment
- Business equipment
- PCs and laptops
TE Connectivity Ltd. is a $13 billion global technology and manufacturing leader creating a safer, sustainable, productive, and connected future. For more than 75 years, our connectivity and sensor solutions, proven in the harshest environments, have enabled advancements in transportation, industrial applications, medical technology, energy, data communications, and the home. With 78,000 employees, including more than 7,000 engineers, working alongside customers in nearly 150 countries, TE ensures that EVERY CONNECTION COUNTS.