Enabling ageing power infrastructures to meet future demand with modular solutions. The worldwide population is growing exponentially, cities and urban areas are expanding. The energy demand is intensified and will be multiplied by three between now and 2040*. The power infrastructures must have sufficient capacity and reliability to support this expansion. Ones of the masterpiece of this expansion are substations. They can be considered as the crossroads of the power system. They need to be robust to control and ensure power flow. In industrialized countries, power utilities are facing ageing infrastructures. To help them to maintain and repair existing power substations our experts designed modular and high voltage connectors.
TE Connectivity's (TE) modular SIMABUS and SIMAFLEX range are high voltage substation connectors. They have been created to revolutionize substations by replacing multiple connector types with a single busbar connector that reduces lead time, eliminates waste and improves performance. Designed as a universal product to meet the needs of utility customers worldwide, our high voltage connections use a modular approach to replace three other types of connectors – Classic,
TE’s SIMEL substation fittings are tailor made and produced with components kept on stock. We call them “Make To Order” connectors which can be delivered throughout the world. They became TE’s standards thanks to a design for manufacturing approach implementation.
SIMABUS and SIMAFLEX substation fittings
- Modular approach: innovative solution to comply with 2 or 3 keepers specifications within the same product range.
- Reduced lead time: make to order solutions in 4 to 6 weeks thanks to a rationalized range of casting components kept in stock.
- Extended lifetime: high electrical performances with in-house machining combined with waxed bolts. Strengthen mechanical behaviors with electrical contact grooves machined as per each conductor.
- Reduced carbon footprint: lower shipping volumes and reduced on-site waste cut environmental impact.
- Service and support: TE experts match the right SIMABUS / SIMAFLEX product to your current or future technical specifications.
Laser marking done systematically on each connector for permanent traceability and identification.
- Easy installation: the stainless steel U bolt will hold the conductor during the installation allowing a fast and easy mounting of the two external keepers.
- Additional features: die-cast components, precision machined contact surfaces and streamlined packaging for reduced on site waste.
Laurent Royer, Global Engineering and HVCS Product Manager, describes how TE's SIMABUS connectors will allow utilities to meet today’s growing demands for energy without building larger substations.
The transmission grids are getting mature, especially in the industrialized countries. In addition to the aging of the infrastructure, utilities must take into consideration several future challenges which are economic and technical.
Number 1: its increase of the transfer capacity into the substation which is in connection with an increase of the capacity within the transmission corridors, and finally linked with the increase of the demand of energy.
Number 2: the extended lifetime of the switchyard, and consequently, of the HV equipment.
Number 3: to improve the resilience of the transmission grid, in order to reduce the power outage periods.
I think that primarily when a customer is working with TE, he will be sure that he will get a product fit for his application. However, and beyond the product solution, I think also, the customer is going to get best-in-class service, like calculation, definition of the product, from the layout, as well as internal testing capabilities.
We are what we make, and this is for us, a key customer advantage.