Board Connectors for the Newest Devices
The new line of M.2 next generation form factor (NGFF) connectors are smaller in both size and volume. Engineered for a wide range of applications, these M.2 NGFF connectors meet both current and future market needs for slim solutions.
May 22, 2013
SHANGHAI – TE Connectivity (TE) launched a line of M.2 next-generation form factor (NGFF) connectors, which are designed using the new interface standard for a smaller form factor in both size and volume. Engineered for a wide range of applications, including SSDs (solid state drives) and wireless cards of all types for use in notebooks, ultraportable devices, tablets, desktops and servers, TE’s M.2 (NGFF) products meet both current and future market needs for slim solutions.
TE is at the forefront of evolving markets that need miniaturized connectors to maximize printed circuit board (PCB) real estate, reduce profile height and support higher data rates. They designed two M.2 (NGFF) product types having a standard top PCB mount or a midplane (offset) PCB mount. The M.2 connectors are designed in a dense form factor of just 0.5mm pitch with 67 positions.
“As the market shifts toward slimmer solutions, we see M.2 (NGFF) products as the natural transition from the PCI Express Mini Card to a smaller, standardized form factor,” said Jaren May, global product manager of TE Consumer Devices. “As M.2 (NGFF) connectors are in the early phase of their product lifecycle, we’re working with industry standard committees, as well as other innovative companies, to lead the market towards slimmer designs.”
TE’s M.2 (NGFF) product portfolio offers industry-leading features and benefits, including:
- Provides a range of profile heights
- Supports enhanced data rates, which include PCI Express 3.0, SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0
- Saves more than 20 percent of PCB real estate
- Reduces connector height by 15 percent (as compared to PCI Express Mini Card connectors)
- Ensures proper mating configurations with module cards through several keying options
- Accepts both single- and double-sided modules
“Innovating a high-performing, small-scale M.2 (NGFF) connector with a cost-effective design was a challenge that our team of design engineers successfully met,” said May.
- Available in various heights
- 0.5mm pitch with 67 positions
- Designed for both single and double-sided modules
- Available in various keying options for module cards
- Support PCI Express 3.0, USB 3.0 & SATA 3.0
- Ultraportable Devices
- Portable Gaming Devices
- Devices that require SSDs
- Portable Mobile Devices
TE Connectivity Ltd. is a $13 billion global technology and manufacturing leader creating a safer, sustainable, productive, and connected future. For more than 75 years, our connectivity and sensor solutions, proven in the harshest environments, have enabled advancements in transportation, industrial applications, medical technology, energy, data communications, and the home. With 78,000 employees, including more than 7,000 engineers, working alongside customers in nearly 150 countries, TE ensures that EVERY CONNECTION COUNTS.